This is one of my absolute favorite things to eat, I could eat it for breakfast , lunch and supper. This is the perfect savory combination of spices and palm oil. This beans is typically served with fried plantain, garri (Fried cassava) or bread. It’s also okay if you choose to eat it by itself.
I find it extremely difficult to eat food without meat, and somehow I have never been able to wrap my head around pairing other proteins with beans, it just doesn’t feel right to me. But since I am a strict “meatitarian” I served the beans with salmon and cubed fried plantain. Enjoy!
- Cleaned Black eyed or brown beans – 2 cups
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- Palm oil – 4 Tablespoons
- Dried pepper powder- 1-2 tablespoon
- Maggi – 2 cubes (bouillon cube)
- Salt – to taste
- Set a medium size pot on high heat, add in 5 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add in the onion and beans
- Reduce the heat to medium, let the beans cook for 1.5 hours (add more water during cooking if needed)
- When water is almost dried up; add in the pepper, maggi, salt and palm oil . Simmer on low heat for another 30 minutes.
Serve with plantain, bread, garri or your choice of side
– If you are soaking the beans prior to cooking, you will only have to cook it for 1 hour
– Back home, we used blended pepper not dried pepper. Either one works