I find it extremely difficult to eat food without meat, and somehow I have never been able to wrap my head around pairing other proteins with beans, it just doesn’t feel right to me.
Since I am a strict “meatitarian” I served the beans with salmon and cubed fried plantain. Enjoy!
- Cleaned Black eyed or brown beans – 2 cups
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- Palm oil – 4 Tablespoons
- Dried pepper powder- 1-2 tablespoon
- Maggi – 2 cubes (bouillon cube)
- Salt – to taste
- Set a medium size pot on high heat, add in 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Add in the onion and beans.
- Reduce the heat to medium, let the beans cook for 1.5 hours (add more water during cooking if needed)
- When water is almost dried up; add in the pepper, maggi, salt and palm oil .
- Simmer on low heat for another 30 minutes.
Serve with plantain, bread, garri or your choice of side
– If you are soaking the beans prior to cooking, you will only have to cook it for 1 hour
– Back home, we used blended pepper not dried pepper. Either one works
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.