This is my simple no boil method for Nigerian Tomato stew. The Original recipe for the 9jafoodie style stew is here. I have tried several method over the years but this method adds additional dept to the stew that is not achievable by simply boiling the ingredients.
The recipe modification as indicated in the original post allows you to achieve the same consistency without roasting or boiling the peppers. This is method requires you to actually boil the ingredients briefly and then blend.
- 4-6 Large Tomatoes
- 3 Red Bell Peppers (Tatashe)
- 3 Green Bell Peppers *
- 1 Large Onion
- 1-4 Scotch Bonnet peppers (Ata-rodo)
- Chop all ingredients into large chunks, roast at 400F for 45-60 Minutes.
- Puree to a paste in a blender (no need to add water)
Recipe Modification for those without an Oven:
Prepare the same ingredients as listed above
- Place the sauce ingredients in a pot and add in 1 cup of water
- Place on Low-Medium heat and boil for 10 – 15 minutes
- Pour boiled peppers into a strainer to remove any excess water. Puree to a smooth paste
- The resulting base will be thick and will require no further boiling. Enjoy!!
Alternatively: Place the ingredients in a pan, sprinkle with salt and pour over boiling water. allow to rest for 15-20 minutes. Strain and blend.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.