How to Make Nigerian Puff Puff
This recipe makes eight (8) medium size puff puffs
- 1 + 1/4 cups flour (157 grams)
- 1 teaspoon quick rise yeast (This is the most important part, be sure to get the quick rise yeast)
- 1/4 cup sugar (50 grams) (adjust down or up for preference)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- Frying oil
- In a mixing bowl, combine the warm water and yeast. Set aside for 5-10minutes until the mixture becomes frothy (foamy at the top)
- In another bowl combine flour, sugar and nutmeg
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients thoroughly. Batter should be thick and smooth with a couple of bubbles.
- Cover the mixture with a table cloth. set aside in a warm place for 45 minutes (just until the batter doubles in size)
- Set a large pot on medium heat, add in the oil
- Once the oil is hot – about 5-6mins . Scoop the mixture with your hand , drop in the oil ( try not to crowd the pan)
- Fry until golden brown turning occasionally.
Do not leave the batter for more than 45 minutes otherwise the puff puff will turn out chewy and not ball up properly when fried.