I have been so busy with tasks related to my Healthy Eating Cookbook Lose It Nigerian that I feel like I haven’t been blogging as much as I should. But I actually have managed to post on a weekly basis! which is amazing. Anyways … hi 9jafoodie fam fam, how is 2016 coming? have you downloaded my book, it’s honestly worth the hype and it’s still very cheap. download o nbok.
Can you believe I don’t have a plantain pottage recipe on the blog? I do find it extremely shocking myself. I do have several porrage (porridge) recipes including Yam and Cocoyam if that is any consolation. This is my go to plantain pottage recipe, I use unripe plantain with a little twist of sweet potatoes. I add the potatoes because I honestly do not enjoy the taste of unripe plantain. I love the texture and flavor contrast the sweet potato adds to the dish. The beauty of this recipe is that you can modify it either way – do a combination like I have, use just plantain or just sweet potatoes.
- ¼ cup palm oil
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 2 large green plantains
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2/3 cup Stew Base
- 2 tablespoons ground crayfish
- 1-2 cups shredded smoked fish
- 1 cup prawns (optional)
- Salt – to taste
- Maggi – 2 cubes (optional)
- Handful fresh greens (ugu, spinach etc) thinly sliced.
- Place a pot on medium high heat, add in the oil. Add in onions and fry until onion is wilted.
- Add in stew base, crayfish, salt, maggi and smoked fish. Simmer covered on medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes
- While the sauce is simmering, Peel and cube the sweet potatoes. Set aside. Peel and cube one of the plantains. Peel and grate the other plantain using a grater or food processor
- Add the cubed potatoes and plantain into the sauce. Stir to combine. Add in enough water to just cover the mixture. Cover and simmer on low-medium heat for 35-40 minutes or until the plantain is cooked through
- Remove the pottage from heat, stir in green vegetable if using
- Serve and enjoy
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.