Akara Pancakes – Healthy Akara Recipe -Pankara
Hello Foodie fam- this is another great recipe for those counting calories and those watching the oil content in their diet. The recipe was inspired by Sunday morning pancake runs and my husband’s aversion for deep fried foods. It’s classic Akara without all the oil that comes with deep frying, the taste is amazingly the same as the deep fried version. Feel free to take the recipe from breakfast to supper by adding in some chopped shrimp or shredded chicken or serving the akara with a side of sauced meat. I made use of vegetable oil for the lighter colored akara pictured and Palm oil for the more yellow colored version. So many people ended up trying out this recipe and it started the #PankaraRevolution. If using bean powder, combine 1 cup powder with 1/3 cup water and 1 egg; everything else stays the same.
- 1 cup peeled beans
- 2 large eggs
- Salt- to taste
- Chopped Onion & fresh pepper – to taste
- Vegetable or palm oil – 1 tablespoon
- Puree the beans with a little 1/2 cup of water to form a thick paste
- Add in all left over ingredients (except oil), thoroughly combine
- Place a small frying pan on medium heat, add in a little bit of oil. Add about a fourth of the bean batter, cook until you notice some bubbles in the akara, flip over and cook on the other side until golden. Repeat step until all the batter is fried.
Serve with Pap or pepper Sauce. Enjoy!