There are so many incredible ways to make okro Soup. From this super delicious Otong style to this quick Yoruba asepo version. The beauty of it is how diverse you can take it depending on preference, time and budget. This mixed version with vegetables is one of my personal favorites. It’s so green and so lush yet it’s super simple to make. Serve it alone or with your favorite swallow and thank me later.
- 1 small onion
- 1 large bell pepper (tatashe)
- 2 hot pepper
- 1 cup palm oil
- ½ cup crayfish powder
- Cooked Assorted meat and fish – I used a combination of Goat, beef, red prawns and panla
- Maggi and salt – to taste
- 6 cups chopped okro
- 6 cups meat stock or water
- 4 cups chopped greens (ugu, spinach, tete etc)
- Combine onion and peppers in a blender or food processor. Process until just coarse
- Place a large pot on medium heat. Add in palm oil. Stir in crayfish and combine with the oil.
- Add in minced peppers/onion (from step one).
- Add in meat stock and precooked meat. Stir. Taste and adjust for salt and maggi. Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Stir in chopped okro and cook for 2 mins. Stir in chopped green and cook for another 3 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
- Okro vegetable soup is ready to serve. Enjoy!!!