Have you guys noticed that there has been some sort of theme with our recipes this year? January were more innovative recipes, February was dedicated to healthier recipes and march is all about proteins. We have shared some great chicken, beans and fish recipes so far this month. This is the last of the meat recipes nation, I hope you have enjoyed all of them. It appears the fan favorite so far has to be a toss up between the jerk chicken and spicy chicken recipe, my personal favorite is the grilled croaker fish recipe.
I have for you today my peppered meat recipe with a focus on turkey. This is somewhat of a local delicacy in Nigeria, If you ever visit bukas, they display this style of sauced meat in standing glass cases for sale. This style of meat is usually paired with alcoholic drinks to serve. You can serve this with garri, malt or simply enjoy this deliciousness by itself. I am sticking with the local tradition of deep frying the meat, feel free to bake the meat as a much healthier option.
- Turkey wings - 12
- Salt - to taste
- Maggi - 3 cubes
- Thyme - 1 tablespoon
- ½ medium onion
- Black pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Large onion
- 3 Red bell peppers (Tatashe)
- 1-2 hot peppers( Rodo or shombo)
- Maggi - 1 cube
- Curry - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- Other: Oil for deep frying
- Start by combining all ingredients listed for boiled turkey in a large pot. Cook without added water on low-medium heat for 23-30 minutes . Drain to remove residual fluid
- While turkey is being boiled. chop all sauce ingredients and pulse in a blender or food processor to a coarse consistency. set aside
- Add oil to a large pot and place on medium - high heat (or use your electric deep fryer). fry boiled turkey until golden. Remove from oil and set aside
- Heat up a cooking spoon of oil in a large pan. add in pepper mix and stir fry until fragrant (2-3 minutes). Add in seasoning cube, curry and salt. Stir to combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Add fried turkey into the sauce . Stir to combine. Cover pan and leave to simmer on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.