My sincere apologies to everyone who has been waiting on me to upload this recipe, I have had it in draft since February 🙁 . Since I published my Weight loss E-Book Lose It Nigerian, things have been extremely busy. Managing the book, the website and my full time day job has definitely given me a new perspective on what it’s like to be an entrepreneur. My goal still is to publish weekly for the 9jafoodie website and I will try my best to keep up.
This right here was big mummy’s recipe (sun re o mama), we made it every Sunday when I was growing up. No deviation, no additions or subtractions. The sauce is simple stewed egg with sardines and it mostly accompanied boiled yam for Sunday breakfast. We all loved it. You can choose to substitute corned beef for sardine or do a combination of both.
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 spoons Nigerian stew base (Substitute tomato sauce)
- 1 teaspoon each curry and thyme powder
- Salt – to taste
- 2 maggi cubes
- ⅓ cup oil (1 cooking spoon)
- 6 large eggs
- 1 can titus sardines pack
- Place a small pot on medium heat. Add and heat the oil. Add in onions and stir fry until fragrant and just browning. Add in stew base, curry, thyme, salt and 1 maggi cube. Stir. Reduce heat to low. Cover the pot and leave the sauce to cook for about 15 minutes.
- While sauce in cooking - crack the eggs into a large bowl add in sardines. Beat with a fork until egg is well combined. Season with some salt and the left over maggi cube.
- Add in the whisked egg mix into the sauce, cover and leave to simmer for 6 minutes (the edges will set first). Gently move the formed eggs to the middle and simmer again until all set.
- Serve with boiled yam!
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.