Nigeria Moi Moi – Moin moin Recipe
Moi-moi or Moin-Moin is one of the most popular dishes in Nigeria. It’s made from pureed beans and served primarily as an accompaniment to breakfast porridge. Moi moi can also be served with a side of garri or bread. Traditional moi moi is wrapped in Banana or ewe eran leaves.
If you live outside Nigeria with no access to the right leaves or just looking to achieve some fun shapes, there are no limits to what you can use to create fun shapes. Most banking dishes will do just great when making moi moi, simply choose the shape you desire, cover with aluminum foil after pouring the batter in and place in a large body of water to steam.
Here is a picture of numerous pans that can be used:
Now on to the recipe:
- Black eyed beans – 1.5 cups
- Medium onion – 1/2 (chopped)
- Red bell pepper (Tatashe) – 1 (chopped)
- Scotch bonnet pepper (ata Rodo) – 1-2
- Eggs – 4 (boil and peel 2 of the eggs )
- Ground crayfish – 1 Tablespoon
- Palm oil- 3 Tablespoons
- Melted butter (optional) – 3 Tablespoons
- Bouillon cube (Maggi) – 1
- Salt (to taste)
Other: One large loaf pan for steaming
- Prepare the beans – Pre soak beans in warm water (preferably overnight), Peel the beans, rinse and remove beans skin) Click here for a tutorial on how to peel beans
- Combine beans, red bell pepper, onion and and 1 cup water in a blender, blend until you have a very smooth batter
- Pour the batter into a large bowl, Crack the left over eggs into the batter. Set aside
- Dissolve salt, palm oil, crayfish and bouillon cube in 2 tablespoons of boiling water, set aside to cool. once cooled add to batter
- With a spatula or turning pin (omo orogun) or electric mixer- Mix the batter thorough ( this is to incorporate air into the batter and fluff the resulting moi moi. mix for about 10 minutes) . Taste and adjust for seasoning
- Add 4 cups water to a large pot, set on high heat and bring to a boil
- Oil the pan, pour half of the batter into the loaf pan, add in the sliced boiled eggs, pour in the left over batter. Cover the loaf pan tightly with some aluminum foil
- Place the batter filled loaf pan in the pot of water ( it shouldn’t be covered in water), place a tight lid over the pot and reduce the heat to medium. Steam for 45-60 minutes
– Add more water into the pan as you steam the moimoi if needed
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.