- 2 cups long grain Basmati rice
- 1 cup mixed vegetables ( defrosted)
- 1/4 cup groundnut oil
- 2 cups stewed tomatoes (you can buy it canned in any grocery store)
- 1/2 medium size onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 bullion cubes ( Knorr or maggi)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Set the rice in a large bowl, cover with hot water. Place a lid over the bowl and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Set a medium pot on medium heat and add in the groundnut oil. When the oil is hot ( approximately 1-2 minutes) add in the chopped onion, garlic and ginger. Stir continuously for 3 minutes.
- Add in the curry, thyme, salt, bullion cubes and stewed tomatoes (be sure to include the water from the tomatoes).
- Add in the rice and 2 cups of water. reduce the heat to a little below medium, cover the pot and leave to cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- Add in the mixed vegetables, taste and adjust for seasoning. Cover and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
Serve with your choice of sides (fried plantain and fish/goat or beef). Enjoy!!
Tips For Cooking the Perfect Basmati Rice
- Use the right amount of water (I use about 1 cup rice to 1 1/3 cups water)
- Soak the rice prior to cooking to remove excess starch
- Gentle heat works best, cook on below medium heat
- Use a pot with a right fitting lid (try to leave the rice to cook, don’t open the lid if you don’t have to)
- When your rice is done, remove it from stove and set aside to cool. Be sure to take off the lid, an extra 2 minutes of heat can turn the rice into a mush.
I promise once you master the technique it’s a breeze.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.