Let me say this now, this is one of the most delicious ways to enjoy mackerel. This stew right here served on white rice will make you forget your name for a moment. The secret ingredient is definitely the locust beans (iru), there is something about iru and palm oil that just take things to the next level.
If you don’t have Iru, honestly don’t bother. Wait until you do. If using dried iru or dawadawa, make sure you reconstitute it in a little hot water prior to use.
- 2 large mackerel
- 2 cooking spoons palm oil (1/2 cup)
- 1 large onion (minced)
- 2 cups stew base
- 3 maggi cubes
- 2-4 tablespoons iru (locust beans)
- Cut mackerel into steaks and rinse under running water. Season with salt, pepper and 1 maggi cube. Set aside
- Place a pot on medium- high heat, add in oil. Add in the minced onions. Stir fry until the onion starts to turn golden. Add in the stew base and iru. Simmer for 5 minutes
- Gently place in the mackerel pieces. Add in left over maggi. Stir gently. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Cover the pot and simmer for another 12-15 minutes.
- You pure deliciousness is ready to serve.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.