I know some of you are like Low carb swallow ke? vegetable amala ke? aubergine amala ke? yes yes yes I know. but guyss! okay okay I love my okele, like love love love okele. Since the invention of Lose It Nigerian movement, I have actively tried to be more conscious about the type/quantity of okele that I eat. One of my biggest criteria is fermentation, if it’s not fermented I aint eating. You can read more about my reason on this post here .
In writing my first Low Carb Nigerian meal plan, experimenting with different types of swallow alternatives was definitely high on the list. In chatting with a few friends, I realized aubergine swallow was definitely one to try. Verdict? incredible! if you love amala, you will love love love aubergine swallow.
This recipe is my go to, it makes about 3 portions and can be stored in the fridge for future us. 1 portion has less than 100 calories compared to almost 500 for a similar serving of garri. Also, this recipe can be modified for any other type of vegetable swallow. simply replace the aubergine with your choice of vegetables. Options include Cauliflower, cabbage, carrot, regular garden egg etc.
- 1 large aubergine 750g
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk
- Wash and cut the aubergine into large chunks
- Place in the blender and add 1/3 cup water (this is to make it easy to blend). Blend to a paste
- place a pot on medium heat, pure in the pureed mixture. Leave to cook uncovered for 5 mins
- Stir in the psyllium husk powder. continue to stir until thickened (3-4mins)
Serve and leave to cool slightly before eating.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.