let me see your hand up if you love Mackerel Stew! One thing that makes cooking this super quick and incredibly simple for me is the fact that I always have stew base (Ata Lilo) in my fridge. Honestly if you are going to pick any tip from this blog this month, make sure it’s this one. Make a big batch of my signature roasted stew base, store it in the fridge or freezer and use as needed, it will last in the fridge for up to 4 weeks. This will save you so much time and effort when cooking. 40 minute tasks become 10 minute tasks… I am not even exaggerating.
If you are storing the base in the fridge, store it in ceramic not plastic, it keeps longer this way. Also pour some oil on it to prevent it from molding.
Hi, I am Ronke and I love mackerel. It’s very versatile and incredibly tasty no matter how you cook it. This light mackerel (Titus) stew is one of my super quick got to recipes. I serve it with everything from rice to okra to ewedu.
- 1 large mackerel – cleaned and cut into steaks
- 2 cups stew base
- 2 maggi cubes
- Salt – to taste
- 1/3 cup cooking oil (palm or vegetable)
- Season mackerel with salt and maggi. Set aside
- Combine stew base with 1-2 cups of water in a pot. Season with maggi and salt. Cover and leave to boil for 10 minutes
- Add in seasoned mackerel and oil. Simmer covered on medium heat for another 5 minutes
Fish sauce is ready. Serve over rice or with plain cooked okro soup for okele.