Yes I know, you don’t have to tell me to cover my face I am already doing it. Can you just imagine that this is the first jollof spaghetti recipe I am posting on the blog. It’s actually the second pasta recipe I have ever posted on the blog. I need to fix that asap asap.
So Jollof spaghetti! How do you cook yours?
The number one rule for me is that the spaghetti cannot be soggy. No, no no no way. Aren’t no one gat time for that. The second rule is that it must be super flavorful. Considering the fact that pasta takes about 11 minutes to cook it doesn’t have lots of time to absorb yummy goodness. This means that lots of the magic needs to happen way before the pasta goes into the sauce.
For this intense depth of flavor, we will be using my world famous roasted stew base. To get the texture just right and not clump up the paste we will be boiling it twice.
Are you ready for spaghetti jollof perfection?
Oya lets go
- 2 red bell peppers, 2 large tomatoes, 1 hot pepper, 1 onion and 2 garlic cloves
- 3 tbsps vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 medium onion – thinly sliced
- 2 bay laves
- I teaspoon each curry, thyme and white pepper
- 2 maggi cubes
- salt – to taste
- 700g spaghetti (white or whole wheat)
- Roast all sauce ingredients at 425F. Chop and blend in a food processor until chunky
Note: You can skip roasting if you don’t have an oven. Simply chop and blend the peppers.
- Place a large pan on medium heat. Heat up cooking oil. Add in sliced onions and stir-fry until fragrant and translucent
- Add in spices and bay leaves. Stir. Add in stew base and allow to simmer covered for 3-5 minutes. Add in maggi and salt. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Add in butter and continue to simmer on medium-low heat
- While sauce is simmering – boil lots of water in a large pot. Add salt. Add pasta. As soon as pasta is wilted (about 4-5 minutes) take out 2 cups of pasta water and add into the simmering sauce
- Drain the pasta of all left over liquid and add warm pasta into sauce. Stir to incorporate sauce and pasta
- Cover and leave to simmer for 5-6 more minutes