Iced Zobo Lemonade
It’s the peak of summer in most parts of the world and like everyone else I am constantly looking for ways to cool down. With a vision to make my liquid count, I created this extremely delicious summer mocktail. This antioxidant rich lemonade is a great guilt free way to relax this summer. If you have end of summer BBQ or get-together planned, this will make a great mocktail or cocktail (simply add your favorite vodka). The recipe as is will make about 3.5 liters and it can be doubled to make a bigger batch. This will also freeze extremely well as popsicles, simple add the finished juice into a popsicle mold and freeze overnight or use ordinary disposable cups if you don’t have a mold.
What you will need:
- 1 cup raw zobo leaves (hibiscus, Sorrel, Bissap leaves)
Making the concentrate:
Combine zobo leaves with 3 cups water, Boil on low-medium heat for 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool at room temperature. Remove and discard the leaves. Refrigerate resulting liquid until chilled
- 1 + 1/3 cup sugar (substitute honey)
- 1 cups freshly squeezed lemon juice (About 7 fresh lemons)
Tip: To get the most juice out of the fresh lemons, microwave for 1-2 minutes before squeezing
- 12 cups Water
Making the lemonade:
- In a small pan, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled. In a pitcher or large bowl, stir together chilled sugar syrup, lemon juice and remaining 11 cups water
- In a large pitcher or bowl, combine, lemonade and zobo concentrate . Stir until thoroughly combined.
Serve on ice and enjoy the burst of flavors.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.