If you saw this and thought spicy groundnut chicken ke? Wo come here let me tell you something, your life if about to change. Peanut (groundnut) is the foundation of some savory delicious dishes from all over the world. Thai people especially love their peanut based dishes and I don’t blame them. Down home in Nigeria, we have the amazingness that is groundnut stew. Our Ghanaian neighbors do groundnut stew and soup. So this is honestly not far out to lunch. Just imagine the flavors of a good groundnut stew wrapped up in a juicy piece of chicken goodness. Now tell me that isn’t just crazy delicious.
This is a chicken recipe I have prepared for years, right from college days. I made some again last Christmas and my sister in-law wanted a recipe. I didn’t believe there wasn’t a recipe on the site already. Anyways, better late than never.
- ½ cup roasted groundnut (substitute ⅓ cup peanut butter)
- 1 large red bell pepper (tatashe) (chopped)
- ½ medium onions (chopped)
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (ata-rodo)
- 15 chicken pieces (thighs and drumstick)
- 1 teaspoon each curry, thyme, white pepper, ginger and garlic
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- Salt – to taste
- Maggi – 3 cubes
- Combine the chicken with all ingredients in part 2. Set aside to marinate for 30 minutes or overnight
- Preaheat oven to 400F. line a baking tray with parchment or foil and set aside.
- Arrange chicken pieces on oven tray, place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes
- Combine ingredients in part 1 in a blender. Puree to a smooth paste
- Remove the chicken pieces from the oven. Add chicken pieces to a large bowl and pour over the peanut mix. Toss to combine
- Return the chicken pieces to the tray. Add on any residual peanut dressing. Bake for another 15 minutes.