Coconut Basmati Rice (Makes enough for 5adults)
My Modern take on the Nigerian style Coconut rice.
- 1Table spoon Virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup red onion (chopped)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cubes maggi
- SPICES: ½ teaspoon (cumin, dried pepper, curry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ½ cups basmati rice (washed) (Preferably extra fancy long grain basmati rice. my preferred brand is “404 premium”)
- Place a large pot (with a good fitting lid) on medium heat; add in the coconut oil, wait 2mins, then add in the chopped onions. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent (3-4mins)
- Now add in the coconut milk, 2 cups water, maggi, spices and salt. Cover the pot, increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to minimum (the lowest setting on your cooker), add in the rice, and stir. Cover the pot tightly and leave the rice to cook for 25mins.
Serve and Enjoy!
Note: do not open the lead while the rice is cooking, do not stir the rice at anytime during cooking.
**A 9jaFOOdie original recipe**