My Modern take on the Nigerian style Coconut rice.
Coconut Basmati Rice (Makes enough for 5adults)
- 1 tablespoon Virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup red onion (chopped)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cubes maggi
- ½ teaspoon (cumin, dried pepper, curry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3½ cups basmati rice (washed) (Preferably extra fancy long grain basmati rice. my preferred brand is “404 premium”)
- Place a large pot (with a good fitting lid) on medium heat; add in the coconut oil, wait 2mins, then add in the chopped onions.
- Sauté until the onion becomes translucent (3-4mins)
- Now add in the coconut milk, 2 cups water, maggi, spices and salt.
- Cover the pot, increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium (2.5 – 3 on numbered cooker), add in the rice, and stir.
- Cover the pot tightly and leave the rice to cook for 25mins.
Serve and Enjoy!
Note: Do not open the lead while the rice is cooking, do not stir the rice at anytime during cooking.