My Modern take on the Nigerian style Coconut rice.
Coconut Basmati Rice (Makes enough for 5adults)
- 1 tablespoon Virgin coconut oil
- ¼ cup red onion (chopped)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cubes maggi
- ½ teaspoon (cumin, dried pepper, curry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3½ cups basmati rice (washed) (Preferably extra fancy long grain basmati rice. my preferred brand is “404 premium”)
- Place a large pot (with a good fitting lid) on medium heat; add in the coconut oil, wait 2mins, then add in the chopped onions.
- Sauté until the onion becomes translucent (3-4mins)
- Now add in the coconut milk, 2 cups water, maggi, spices and salt.
- Cover the pot, increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low-medium (2.5 – 3 on numbered cooker), add in the rice, and stir.
- Cover the pot tightly and leave the rice to cook for 25mins.
Serve and Enjoy!
Note: Do not open the lead while the rice is cooking, do not stir the rice at anytime during cooking.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.