This beef stirfy is a recipe you want to have in your arsenal, it’s so simply yet incredibly tasty. Your guests wont believed it’s not takeout. Show of hands if you love Chinese food. Authentic or not, I love me some Asian food! I think it might be because the flavor profiles are very similar to Nigerian food. There is often a higher balance of flavors (sweet, savory, tangy and spicy) similar to Nigerian flavor profile of savory/spicy.
There are four holy grail condiments for making Asian food at home, this I learnt from an Asian lady I worked with in a restaurant during my college days.
These condiments are
- Soy sauce,
- oyster sauce,
- fish sauce and
- chili mix;
You can pretty much create your own Asian dishes with a combination of the four condiments above.
I always have these items at home plus Mirin (cooking wine) and corn starch. Walk into any Asian restaurant kitchen and you will see them using these items to create different dishes.
For this recipe, you will only need soy sauce, mirin, oyster sauce, cornstarch and water. You can add some heat with chopped ata-rodo (scotch bonnet if you like). The recipe is stupidly simple and extremely delicious.
- 2 kg flank steak (want to know what part of the cow that is, see the image here)
- 2 large onions (thinly sliced)
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers (ata-rodo) – minced (optional)
- 6 cups green vegetable (I used broccoli and asparagus)
- 6 tablespoons oil (divided)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 3 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Thinly slice the beef. Season with some salt and pepper. Set aside
- Place a large skillet on high heat, add in the oil and heat until very hot. Add in seasoned beef and spread out the pieces. Stir fry for 4 minute. If the beef produces some water, drain out the water and stir fry for another 2 minutes until dried.
- Add in the other 3 tablespoons of oil, minced pepper (if using) and sliced onions. Continue to stir fry until the onions are fragrant and wilted – 3-4 minutes
- In a bowl, combine all sauce ingredients including cornstarch. Mix thoroughly with a whisk until smooth
- Add the sauce mixture into the meat. Immediately reduce the heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the vegetables. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Serve over rice and enjoy!!!
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.