This was one my favorite things to eat growing up, I have intense love for beans and corn so this is a perfect marriage. This combination is known as adalu among the Yoruba people. It’s deliciously savory and doesn’t require a whole lot of finesse to make. Make sure the water is almost all dried out from the beans before you add in the other ingredients.
- Brown or black eyed beans – 2 cups
- Cooked Corn – 2 cups (Substitute frozen kernel corn)
- Onion (chopped) – 1/2 medium size
- Palm oil – 1/3 cup
- Ground crayfish – 1/4 cup
- 1 large bell pepper, 2 hot peppers (Blended)
- 1/2 cup Bonga fish or smoked turkey (optional)
- Maggi – 2 cubes
- Salt- To taste
- Set a large pot on medium heat; add in 6 cups of water , cover and bring to a boil. add in cleaned beans. Leave to cook for up to two hours or until the beans is fully cooked. Drain to remove excess water.
- Place a clean pot on medium heat, heat up oil. Add in onion and fry until slightly brown. Add in ground crayfish. Add in blended pepper and cook until reduced.
- Season with maggi and salt. Add in drained cooked beans and corn. Stir. Add in 1/2 – 1 cup of water. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.