I am not sure which one I enjoy more between regular yam pottage and Cocoyam pottage. Cocoyam has a stronger flavor that is not easily overpowered by spices, yam on the other hand absorbs flavors thereby resonating different flavor profiles.
- I medium size cocoyam tuber (peeled and cubed) *should make about 4 cups cubed*
- 1 cup blended pepper mix
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 3 Tablespoon palm oil
- 1 Tablespoon blended crayfish
- 1 cube maggi
- Salt to taste
- Handful chopped ugu or spinach (optional)
- Heat up the oil in a large pot; add in the chopped onion and garlic. Stir continuously until the onion is cooked
- Add in the blended peppers, 1.5 cups water, maggi, salt, blended crayfish. Cover and cook for 5-6mins
- Add in the cocoyam, Simmer on below medium heat for 25-30mins. Combine. taste and adjust for seasoning
- Add in the chopped vegetables if using, combine. Remove from heat and serve with your choice of protein
PS: Cocoyam is called Taro here in America, most grocery stores actually carry it. It is also abundantly available in Asian grocery stores.