Seared Tofu (Wara Soya) with Mushrooms
I started eating Tofu as a kid; it is widely sold in Kwara state. I had always known Tofu was healthy but I didn’t quiet understand the health implications of Tofu consumption until recently.
Tofu is extremely versatile; it can be used in sauces and stews. On its own, tofu tastes bland, but it will easily absorb the flavour of whatever you put in it. On the nutrition scale, Tofu is a good source of Protein, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Copper and Selenium, and a very good source of Calcium and Manganese. It’s a healthy alternative to meat, including chicken.
To put things in perspective, ½ cup (100g) of chicken will typically contain at least 137 cal, 6g of fat (2 of which is Saturated), 81 mg of cholesterol, 20g of protein, 2% calcium and 6% iron. An equal serving of Tofu contains 88 calories, 5g of fat (1 of which is saturated), 0 mg of cholesterol , 10g of protein, 25% calcium and 11%iron.If you are a “meatetarian” like me, Tofu is a great cholesterol free, calcium + protein rich alternative to meat.
- 1 block of extra firm tofu (cubed into small pieces) Click here to make Tofu from scratch
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- ½ cup sliced onions
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 bouillon cube (Maggi)
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ½ cup chopped bell peppers
1. Place the cubed tofu in a large bowl, season with half of the salt and the black pepper.
2. Set a large sauté pan or wok on medium heat, add in the oil. Gently place in the seasoned tofu, sear on each side until browned
3. Remove the tofu from the oil and set aside. Add in the onions and sauté until browned. Add in the sliced mushrooms, cover the pot and leave the mushrooms to produce juice( 4-5mins)
4. Add in the seared tofu, left over salt, bouillon cube, thyme and chopped peppers. Stir. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Cover and leave to simmer for another 5mins.
Serve alone or as a side. EnJoy.
Next day, I served the left over with some fried plantain. soo yum!!
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.