Spring rolls are almost as popular with Nigerians as they are with people of Asian origin. Spring rolls have been nigerianized as the ultimate party starter or “Small chop” as it’s locally known. I am not the biggest fan of spring rolls but when I do have them I make sure they are well made. The filling should be generous with protein and the shell should be crispy.
This is how 9jafoodie makes spring rolls. feel free to add in some chopped cabbage or shredded carrots. also if you will prefer to baking to frying the spring roll, cover in a mix of eggs and cornstarch before baking (let me know if you will prefer baked spring rolls recipe in the comment form)
- Shrimps – 10-12 pieces (cooked)
- Ground beef or Sausage- 1/2 cup
Rice Noodles – 2 cups (cooked)*
- Mushrooms – 1 cup (chopped)
- Salt – To taste
- Pepper- To taste
- Maggi – 1 cube
- Spring Roll Wrapper – 12-15
- Vegetable oil – for frying
*To cook the rice noodles, simply cover the noodles with boiling water for 5-6 minutes and drain*
- Add in you maggi. Combine thoroughly. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn the heat off and let your filling cool (Spring roll wraps are usually quite thin, hot filling will produce undesirable results)
Now we wrap! There are various ways and shapes spring rolls can be wrapped. Below is the method we used.
With your wraps all done up, pre-heat frying oil to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Fry until spring rolls turn a light shade of brown.
Frying for too long will cause your wrap to become brittle and begin to break.Enjoy!