When I write a recipe with the word perfect in the title, best believe it’s the perfect recipe. Tested and retested until perfection is literally achieved. I shared this coconut rice recipe on one of my instagram Cook Along with 9jafoodie series to rave reviews. I honestly consider myself a maestro when it comes to infusion rice dishes, I optimize my recipes for simplicity and incredible depth of flavor. all while producing perfectly cooked separate rice grains.
- 2 cups parboiled rice (regular rice)
- 1 tbspn Coconut oil
- One 400ml can coconut milk (preferably Thai premium) .
- 1 small onion .
- 2 medium tomatoes .
- Spices: 2 bay leaves, 1tspn white pepper, 1 tspn minced chili, 4 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1 tspn dried), salt – to taste, 2 heaped tbspns crayfish powder, 1-2 stock cubes (optional)
- Finely chop onion – set aside cut tomatoes into large chunks – set aside.
- Mince chili pepper – set aside .
- Place a wide cooking pot on medium heat. Add in 1 tbsp of coconut oil (sub vegetable oil). Add in onion. Cook until translucent and fragrant .
- Add in tomato, minced pepper and spices. Stir. Cover and leave to simmer on low-medium heat for 10 minutes .
- Add in coconut milk and one cup of water into the tomato mix. Stir. Cover and bring to a rolling boil. Stir. Taste and adjust for seasoning. .
- Add in washed rice. Stir. Reduce heat to low-medium (4 on a marked cooker) .
- Place a sheet of foil over the pot. Place the lid over it and properly seal the edges with foil (this is a very important step) .
Set a timer for 30 minutes and let it go! You have done all you can 😂, let Jesus take the wheel hen. Leave it alone! Don’t open the pot until time is up
- By covering the pot with foil & then a lid, you are able to get away with using less liquid. The rice grains are gently steamed & infused instead of being boiled. End result is perfectly separate & delicious grains .