- 1 cup acha
- Yakwa leaves (optional)
- 4 garden eggs (egg plant)
- 3 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion bulb(sliced)
- 2 cakes of locust bean (dadawa)
- 1 cup matured ground nuts
- 3 peppers
- 2 Bouillon cubes
- Pieces of dry fish
Please note that any condiment can can be incorporated into this dish, diced potatoes, sausages, unripe plantain. Here am using garden eggs.
1. Boil bones till cooked
2 Grind groundnuts and locust beans in a dry mill or use a mortar.
3. Add more water to the bones and pour in ground mixture, diced pepper,add salt and one boullion cube cook for 10 minutes.
4. Dice tomatoes, garden egg and dry fish.
5. Pour in the acha ( acha swells a lot so you have to keep adding water till you get the right consistency) allow to boil for 5 minutes
6. Add the spinach,onions and yakwa leaves and the last bouillon cube. Taste for salt as you have continuously added water. Allow to simmer.
Note: acha is tricky to wash as it contains sand, use a plastic container and wash by shaking from side to side till the sand settles. Keep pouring the acha at the top of into another container and throw away the bottom that contains the sand. (You will loose a lot of the acha grains by doing this, don’t worry as I mentioned earlier it swells once in the pot)Once you look under the plastic and see no sand, you are in the clear.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.