Jollof Rice (with basmati rice)
If you are not new to this blog, I am sure you already know I am a huge fan of basmati rice. They cook faster, look better and are more flavorful. Here is a SIMPLE jollof rice recipe that can be prepared on any budget; the recipe is especially dedicated to all the bachelors and students, for that time of the year when you are low on cash but still want to eat a fancy meal.
- 1/3 cup pure Groundnut oil *
- ¼ of a large onion (sliced)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 cubes magi
- ½ teaspoon each (Thyme, curry, chilli powder)
- 1teaspoon salt *to taste
- 4 bay leaves
- 2.5 cups basmati rice
- Sheet of foil
*substitute vegetable oil
1) Place a pot with a tight fitting lead on medium heat, add in the oil. Heat up the oil, add in the chopped onions. Fry until browned.
2) Add in the tomato paste, fry the onion and paste for 3mins. Add in the magi, thyme, curry, chilli powder and salt. Combine
3) Add in 2.5 cups of water and the bay leaves. Cover and bring to a boil.
4) Reduce the heat to minimum. Add in the rice. Cover the pot with the foil and then the lid. (It’s extremely important that the pot is well covered as we are trying to infuse each grain of rice)
5) Leave to cook (on Minimum heat) for 35minute.
6) Remove the pot from heat, the rice should looks as pictured below. Combine. If the texture of rice isn’t to your liking at this point, simply cover the pot tightly for another 6mins (there is no need to return the pot back to the heat, the retained heat is enough to continue to cook the rice). Otherwise the rice is ready to serve.
Remove the bay leafs and Serve jollof rice with your choice of protein. I recently fell in love with Jollof rice and poached eggs, it is the best combination.