Jollof Rice (with basmati rice)
If you are not new to this blog, I am sure you already know I am a huge fan of basmati rice. They cook faster, look better and are more flavorful. Here is a SIMPLE jollof rice recipe that can be prepared on any budget; the recipe is especially dedicated to all the bachelors and students, for that time of the year when you are low on cash but still want to eat a fancy meal.
- 1/3 cup pure Groundnut oil *
- ¼ of a large onion (sliced)
- 1 small can tomato paste (150ml)*
- 2 cubes magi
- ½ teaspoon each (Thyme, curry, chilli powder)
- Salt – to taste
- 4 bay leaves
- 2.5 cups basmati rice
- Sheet of foil
*substitute vegetable oil
*I made use of tomato paste alone in this recipe. You may choose a more traditional base which will involve blending 1 large tomato, 2 bell pepper and half a medium onion. Use in place of tomato paste and follow all other directions as explained.
1) Place a pot with a tight fitting lead on medium heat, add in the oil. Heat up the oil, add in the chopped onions and bay leave. Stir-fry until onion is translucent and fragrant .
2) Add in the tomato paste , cover and leave to fry for 3-5 minutes, stir occasionally. Add in the maggi, thyme, curry, chilli powder and salt. Combine
3) Add in 2.5 cups of water. Cover and bring to a boil.
4) Reduce the heat to medium-low (2.5 – 3). Add in the rice. Cover the pot with the foil and then the lid. (It’s extremely important that the pot is well covered so as to infuse each grain of rice)
5) Leave to cook (on low-medium heat) for 25 minutes.
6) Remove the pot from heat, the rice should looks as pictured below. Combine. If the texture of rice isn’t to your liking at this point, simply cover the pot tightly for another 6 – 10 minutes (there is no need to return the pot back to the heat, the retained heat is enough to continue to cook the rice). Otherwise the rice is ready to serve.
Remove the bay leafs and Serve jollof rice with your choice of protein. I recently fell in love with Jollof rice and eggs, it is the best combination.
Join our list
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.