I can already hear the “But 9jafoodie, this isn’t croaker fish now”, Yes I am aware of that. When I created this recipe originally, I had access to croaker fish, I wasn’t sure I was going to like it so I didn’t photograph my journey. The recipe was a hit and when I decided to recreate it for the blog, I couldn’t find a good size croaker fish. Just pretend I used croaker fish.
- 1 large size croaker fish ( or 2 smaller once)
- 4ooml coconut milk (~ 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 of a medium onion (chopped)
- 2 Garlic cloves (chopped)
- 2 maggi cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 table spoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large tomato (Optional)
- Clean and pat dry the fish. using a knife, create deep incisions all along the fish. Set in a oven safe deep dish
- In a bowl combine the coconut milk, maggi, salt, thyme, onion, garlic, olive oil and pepper. pour the mixture over the fish.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the fish in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the dish from the oven, with a serving spoon remove half of the cooking liquid and set aside. Return the fish to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
Remove the fish from the broth, in a blender combine the broth (with onions and all) and the tomato. blend until smooth. Set the pureed mixture in a medium pot over high heat and cook until it is reduced ( ~10mins).
- Serve the tomato and Coconut sauce on the fish.