Chin chin is a very popular snack in Nigeria, it’s made from basic combination of flour, milk and sugar. There are other optional ingredients like egg, baking powder and nutmeg, these are strictly based on preference.
Chinchin can be either hard or crunchy. This recipe is a fine medium between the two. If you would prefer much harder chinchin, omit baking power, do not use egg and add 1/2 cup more flour.
- 3 cups flour (375 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sugar (100 grams)
- 1/2 cup margarine (115 grams)
- 1 cup liquid milk (or 1/2 cup powdered milk and 1 cup water)
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
- Combine flour, baking powder and sugar in a bowl. Slice in margarine and mix until well incorporated (it should look like breadcrumbs)
- In a different bowl; combine milk and egg . gently add egg mix into flour mix until you have a stretchy dough
- Roll out the dough on a flat surface, cut into desired shapes
- Set the oil on medium heat, wait until the oil is hot. Fry the shaped dough a batch at a time until golden brown