Here is a great idea for your next brunch, a fancy looking yam dish that is sure to please your guests. It’s a new twist on a beloved classic recipe, yam and eggs. This is somewhat similar to the to-go breakfast Yam cup recipe we created a while back but it’s in a class of its own. Think omelet with a well seasoned yam shell.Do take pictures and share with us when you try the recipe. The social media folks have dubbed this recipe Yamzza, a cheeky combination of Yam and pizza.
- 1/2 Medium Yam Tuber (700g) – Peeled and washed
- 1/4 cup Vegetable oil
- 7 Large eggs
- Salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste
- Handful chopped onion
- 1/2 Cup chopped Mushrooms
- 2-3 Cooked Sausage – Sliced
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup Shredded Cheese (optional)
- Handful Chopped tomato and green onions – to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Using a hand held grater or food processor. Grate the raw yam. squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the yams and season with some salt and pepper
- Place a large non stick pan on medium heat. heat the vegetable oil. Add in seasoned yam, spread out and pack down with a spoon. cook until a crust forms underneath (3-5 minutes)
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs,onion, mushroom, seasoning and half of the shredded cheese
- Pour egg mixture over yam to coat evenly. Top with sausage and leftover cheese. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and place in heated oven for 25-30 minutes. It’s cooked through when a toothpick insert comes out clean. Remove from oven
- Garnish with tomatoes and green onions to serve
- If you do not have an oven, you can make this recipe on stove top. Cover the pan loosely and cook on low heat for 25-30 minutes or until the egg is set.
- Yam may be substituted with sweet potatoes or Irish potatoes
- Bacon may be added into the recipe if you like
- Sausage may be substituted with Corned Beef
Quick Video Recipe!