The main ingredient in Abacha is dried shaved cassava. The cassava is re-hydrated with water and combined with spices and seasonings. Traditionally, abacha can be served with ponmo (cow skin) and/or roasted fish.
2 cups Abacha (dried Shredded cassava)
1 Dried Fish*
1/4 cup Palm Oil
1/2 teaspoon Akaun *Cooking Potash*
3 Tablespoons Crayfish
1/2 bulb small onion (chopped)
1/4 cup chopped scented leave
Maggi and Salt to taste
- Soak abacha in hot water till soft (25-30mins). Drain.
- Bleach palm oil for 5 minutes on medium heat. set aside to cool
- De-solve the akaun in 1 tablespoon of hot water. set aside
- In a bowl, combine the bleached oil and akaun solution. whisk until slightly thickened. Add the dried fish, crayfish, softened abacha, onions, maggi and salt .Combine thoroughly. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Sprinkle on scent leaf just before serving