Growing up I was exposed to okra and stew and for some unknown reasons , I never thought to truly combine the stew base and okra in this manner. If you think this is just “Ila alasepo” – think again. This version has a thick gravy and tastes very different. Feel free to experiment with leaves like Scent leave, water leave and bitter leave in this recipe.
- ½ cup palm oil- Divided (optional)
- 1 cup- prepared pepper mix
- 2 Tablespoons – Tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon –Crayfish powder
- 2 cups- freshly chopped okra
- Salt to Taste
- 2 Cubes maggi
- 2-3 Cups – Seafood of choice – Parboiled and drained
- Place a pot on medium heat and add in half of the palm oil. Leave for 2-3 minutes
- Add the pepper mix and tomato paste into the oil. Stir. Add the crayfish powder and 2.5 cups of water. Simmer for 15-20 minutes
- Add maggi and salt into the boiling mixture. Stir, taste and adjust for seasoning.
- Add in the chopped okra- stir. Add in the parboiled seafood and left over palm oil. Simmer uncovered for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve seafood okra with your choice of Solid or by itself