Nigerian Meat pie Recipe
Meat pie is one of the things I look forward to eating when I go home, be it at tantalizers, Mr Bigs, Sweet Sensations or TFC the flavor profile is very similar. Crumbly exterior with meaty filling. The Nigerian Meatpie is comparable to Latin American Empanadas.
Making Nigerian Meatpie
For the Filling
- 1.5 cups ground beef (minced meat)
- 1.5 cups cubed potatoes
- 1/2 cup cubed carrot
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup red onion (chopped)
- 1 cube maggi
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- Place a large saucepan on medium heat; add in the minced meat and onion. cook until meat is browned
- Add in the salt, carrots, potatoes and maggi. Stir in about a cup of water, cover and simmer until the potatoes is cooked through.
- Thoroughly Combined the flour with 1/2 cup of water, add the flour mix into this sauce (this will thicken the sauce). Add in the curry. Combine
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool
For the Dough41/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 Table Spoon Baking powder A pinch of salt 1 teaspoon sugar (optional) 1 pack of baking Margarine – (400 G) 1/2 – 1 cup ice cold water* 2 eggs (for finishing) *The amount of water required Is not an exact science, watch the dough. You do not want a sticky dough. Direction In a large bowl combine the flour, baking power, sugar and salt. Mix thoroughly. Cube the margarine and add into the dry ingredients. with your hands work the ingredients until margarine is well incorporated (it should look as pictured below) A little at a time, add in the water into the dough. Knead the dough until water is well Incorporated. as pictured below. Set the dough in the fridge for about 30 minutes. Add some flour to a smooth surface, using a rolling pin, flatten the dough. using a circular cookie cutter or a round bowl, cut the dough into big circles. As pictured below
- Preheat the oven to 350 Degrees
- Place about 1 teaspoon or more of filling into center of the circle; fold dough over filling to enclose, forming a half-moon shape.
- Press edges together to seal, and crimp edges decoratively using the back of a fork.
- Transfer to a parchment or foil paper-lined baking sheet
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling
- Whisk together the eggs and brush the egg wash over the formed pies
- Bake until edges are lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes