If you are not new to this blog, I am sure you already know I am a huge fan of basmati rice. They cook faster, look better and are more flavorful. Here is a SIMPLE jollof rice recipe that can be prepared on any budget; the recipe is especially dedicated to all the bachelors and students, for that time of the year when you are low on cash but still want to eat a fancy meal.
- 1/3 cup pure Groundnut oil *
- ¼ of a large onion (sliced)
- 1 small can tomato paste
- 2 cubes magi
- ½ teaspoon each (Thyme, curry, chilli powder)
- 1teaspoon salt *to taste
- 4 bay leaves
- 2.5 cups basmati rice
- Sheet of foil
*substitute vegetable oil
1) Place a pot with a tight fitting lead on medium heat, add in the oil. Heat up the oil, add in the chopped onions. Fry until browned.
3) Add in 2.5 cups of water and the bay leaves. Cover and bring to a boil.
6) Remove the pot from heat, the rice should looks as pictured below. Combine. If the texture of rice isn’t to your liking at this point, simply cover the pot tightly for another 6mins (there is no need to return the pot back to the heat, the retained heat is enough to continue to cook the rice). Otherwise the rice is ready to serve.