I don’t think there is a better pairing to freshly boiled yam than garden egg sauce (Okay, maybe actual fried eggs sauce), anyways, here is my take on Garden egg sauce. The recipe varies across households.
6 large garden eggs (any variety/shape will do)
2 table spoons Groundnut oil
¼ of a medium onion (chopped)
3 table spoons blended pepper sauce* (substitute: tomato sauce)
1 teaspoon blended crayfish
1 cube magi
A touch of salt (~1/2 teaspoon)
¼ Cup dried fish pieces
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add in the garden eggs and boil for 5mins. Remove the garden eggs from heat and set aside to cool
- Set a pot on medium heat, add in the oil. Wait 2 minutes then add in the onions. Blanch the onions until translucent
- Add in all the other ingredients. Reduce the heat to minimum, cover and simmer the sauce.
- Peel the garden eggs skin by gently pulling on the thin white coating (cut and remove the seeds in the center if you prefer).
- Roughly chop up the peeled garden eggs or lightly crush them.
- Add the crushed garden eggs into the sauce, combine. Taste and adjust for seasoning. Simmer for another 7-10mins.
Serve with boiled yam. Enjoy!!