- Carrots originated in Afghanistan.
- They were purple, red, white and yellow, never orange.
- Ancient Greeks believed carrots made both men and women amorous .
- The Dutch invented orange carrots in the 16th century in honor of the Dutch Royal Family by cross breeding pale yellow carrots and red carrots.
- China is the worlds leader in carrot production. 35% of the world carrot as of 2004 was from China.
- 3 carrots can give you enough energy to walk 3 miles.
- A teaspoon holds about 2000 carrot seeds
- Carrot is 87% water.
Carrot is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin k, dietary fibre, vitamin C and potassium.
Boiled, cooked or steamed carrots provide more (as much as 600%) antioxidants such as beta-carotene than raw carrots.
Beta-carotene boosts immune system and reduces risk of cancer
Below are a few benefits of carrots:
- Improved vision
- Cancer prevention
- Immune boosting
- Healthy skin
- Healthy teeth and gum
- Prevents heart disease
I didn’t know all of this before my little research. I do however eat carrots almost everyday. You should too.
-Scientific American | http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=raw-veggies-are-healthier Care2 | http://www.care2.com/greenliving/10-benefits-of-carrots.html Herbs for Cure | http://www.aimforherbs.com/betcarben.html Gone Raw | http://goneraw.com/forum/raw-vs-cooked-carrots