Peeling beans can be very tasking, my tested and recommended method is old school hand peeling. I hope to try the food processor method the next time I peel some beans.
I will advice that you peel lots of beans ahead of time and freeze it. Peeled beans will generally keep in the freezer for up to four months.
- 4 cups black eyed beans or red beans
- Other: Large bowl and water.
- Soak the beans in lots of water for at least 4 hours (I soaked mine overnight). Clear the sink (you will need access to running water).
- Start peeling the beans, by taking a hand full at a time and rubbing the beans in between both of your palms. Continue to do this until 50% of the beans is without skin
- Run the beans underneath some water, stir vigorously. The peeled skin will float in the water surface, pour the water through a colander. continue this step until you have removed all the separated skin.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 until the beans is without skin and cleaned.
- Individually pick out the left over unpeeled beans and peel them. Run the beans under some water again and remove the seperatedd skin.
6) Remove all the water left in the beans. Your beans is ready for use at this point.
If you will like to freeze some beans, package them in some ziploc bags .Make sure to pack the beans into individual usable sizes,that way you only defrost what you need at a time.