I find it extremely hard to eat food without meat, and somehow I have never been able to wrap my head around pairing other proteins with beans, it just doesn’t feel right to me. But since I am a strict “meatitarian” I served the beans with blackened salmon and cubed fried plantain. Enjoy!
- Black eyed beans (2cups) * (Or Nigerian red beans ewa oloyin)1 medium onion( chopped)
- Palm oil ( 4Tbs)
- Dried pepper (1tsp) *(Or more depending on your heat tolerance)
- Maggi (2 cubes) (bouillon cube)
- Salt (to taste)
- Set a medium size pot one high heat, add in 6 cups of water and bring to boil
- Add in the onion and the beans
- Reduce the heat to minimum, let the beans cook for 2hrs30min
- When water is almost dried up, add in the pepper, maggi, salt and palm oil
- Simmer on low heat for another 30mins, taste and adjust for salt.
- Serve with plantain, stewed goat, bread, garri or your choice of side
*If you are soaking the beans prior to cooking, you will only have to cook it for 1hour30mins*
*Back home, we used blended pepper not dried pepper, I happen to fancy dried pepper *
**For a healthy spin, substitute the palm oil for olive oil (save 320 calories, Grill or oven roast the plantain(save 120 calories) **