Now on to the recipe:
- Black eyed beans – 1.5 cups
- Medium onion – 1/2 (chopped)
- Red bell pepper (Tatashe) – 1 (chopped)
- Scotch bonnet pepper (ata Rodo) – 1-2
- Eggs – 4 (boil and peel 2 of the eggs )
- Ground crayfish – 1 Tablespoon
- Palm oil- 3 Tablespoons
- Melted butter (optional) – 3 Tablespoons
- Bouillon cube (Maggi) – 1
- Salt (to taste)
Other: One large loaf pan for steaming
- Prepare the beans – Pre soak beans in warm water (preferably overnight), Peel the beans, rinse and remove beans skin) Click here for a tutorial on how to peel beans
- Combine beans, red bell pepper, onion and and half cup water in a blender, blend until you have a very smooth batter
- Pour the batter into a large bowl, Crack the left over eggs into the batter. Set aside
- Dissolve salt, crayfish and bouillon cube in 2 tablespoons of hot water, set aside to cool. once cooled add to batter
- Bleach the palm oil on high heat for 1- 2 minutes ( set aside to cool) , add in the melted butter. Add oil into batter
- With a spatula or turning pin (omo orogun)- Mix the batter thorough. Taste and adjust for seasoning
- Add 4 cups water to a large pot, set on medium heat
- Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan, add in the sliced boiled eggs, pour in the left over batter. Cover the loaf pan tightly with some aluminum foil.
- Place the batter filled loaf pan in the pot of water ( it shouldn’t be covered in water), place a tight lid over the pot, steam for 45- 60 minutes.
– Add more water into the pan as you steam the moi moi if needed
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.