Nigerian Ewa Agoyin Recipe
For the beans:
2 cups red beans
salt to taste
For the sauce:
1 large white onion (thinly slices)
1 cup palm oil
1 cube maggi
1/4 cup dried blended crayfish
1 large bell pepper (tatashe)
4 habanero peppers (Ata Rodo)
another half size medium onion
Add 6 cups of water to a pot, set on low heat.
wash and add the beans. leave on low heat for 2hr:30min or until the beans is very soft.
Add salt to taste.
- In a blender, combine the bell pepper, habanero(rodo) pepper and the half medium onion. CHOP. (the desired texture is coarse )
- Set a medium sized pot on low heat, add the palm oil
- Bleach the oil for 10-15mins ( Caution: it might get smoky)
- Turn the heat to minimum, add the chopped onion, stir at interval until the onion is caramelized (the color should be black but not burnt). This takes about 30-40mins.
- Add in the blender chopped pepper to another pot, boil for 15mins (this is to remove excess water)
- Add the parboiled pepper to the fried onion, cook for about 15mins.
- Add in the crayfish, salt and maggi.
- Taste for seasoning
- Cook on medium heat for another 10mins.